Sunday, April 29, 2007


Have you ever wondered why lighting candles is a religious ritual? Why fire and religious ceremonies have always gone together..?
In Judaism the Sabbath is welcomed in when a woman lights candles, and it is ushered out the following evening also by kindling fire. For the duration of the Sabbath, observant Jews refrain from lighting fire - which in today's electronic age also incorporates using electricity, combustion engines etc.
We've already started our week here in Israel, but to the rest of you starting on Monday - well, have a good week.

5 comments:

Janet said...

That's an interesting explanation of the Jewish heritage. I just learned my something new for today!

Dsole said...

Man, this is a beautioful shot, and an interesting post. i didn't know about it. have a nice week, then!

Chris said...

I'm really enjoying your website & the Tel Aviv one too - they take me right back to my kibbutz volunteer days eons ago. I knew some Zimbabweans back then - the Haskells? Know them? - Chris

Mandi said...

I don't know but my photo's also got to do with fire......and water.

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. Thanks for the explanation.