Monday, May 7, 2007

Netherlands...not quite windy enough


This is the Montefiore Windmill in Jerusalem's Yemin Moshe neighbourhood. It was built by Jewish philanthropist Moses Montefiore in the 1860s as a way of encouraging poorer Jews to settle outside the walls of the old city. It was his way of trying to "make poverty history" (sorry, I couldn't resist).

Anyway - after all that effort, the windmill never actually made it to operation because it is situated in an area which doesn't have enough wind.

Oops.

5 comments:

Janet said...

For a minute, I thought you had gone to Holland! Interesting history.

Kate said...

I, too, wondered where on earth you were taking us. It must look a bit strange in that environment, no?

Anonymous said...

a big OOPS!
at least its a great subject

Gerald (SK14) said...

great story!

Anonymous said...

Useful idea. I wonder if it worked. Nice photo.

I got to fly last night. I mean I just dove in and flew. You can find out how on my blog post today.