Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Sabres


Okay, so natural born Israelis are often referred to as sabres or sabras - the edible fruits of the cactus, or prickly-pear.

The reason given for this is that Israelis tend to be rather coarse and prickly on the outside, and sweet and squishy on the inside. (Having never really inspected or tasted the innards of my fellow countrymen and women, I'd have to vouch only for the former part of this statement.)

This picture was taken literally a hop-skip-and-jump from our apartment in an old abandoned leper colony hospital. Its overgrown garden has been left fallow for ages. In recent weeks it has become the site of a new community garden.

3 comments:

Mandi said...

Very true. Nice photo.

Anonymous said...

I have heard this saying before. I have never seen the fruit of the vine though. LOL

I posted about the sexual behaviour of ducks today (with photos).

MM said...

Interestingly enough, the sabra cactus - I understand - is not actually native to this particular region...